While 2017 saw some groundbreaking superhero movies that elevated the genre, there were also some bombs that left fans disappointed. Here the year’s releases ranked from worst to best.
8. Justice League Hands down, the worst superhero movie of 2017 is DC Comics Superhero team up movie, as TheWrap exclusively reported had a lot of enemies: a looming corporate merger, a family tragedy, an internal clash between light and dark themes. But its greatest enemy was time — as in the amount allotted to make it.
7. Power Rangers Lionsgate and Saban Films released this hot mess of a film based on the popular kid’s TV show’s first season back in 1993. There’s plenty about “Power Rangers” that could have been improved, from the selection of the film’s least interesting (yet whitest) character as team leader to the clunky world-building that happens in any movie that’s thirsty for sequels.
6. Kingsman: The Golden Circle Without the first movie’s snappy charm, Matthew Vaughn’s follow-up to the gentleman-spy saga is just pop idiocy.
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Chris Pratt and company keep the banter and breeziness coming, but this sequel comes off more as fun filler than a movie unto itself.
4. Spider-Man: Homecoming The web crawler finally headlines his own MCU film. Tom Holland and Michael Keaton are standouts in this funnier, more teen-oriented take on the trials of Peter Parker.
3. Thor: Ragnarok Taika Watiti delivered the best entry in the “Thor” series which managed to be entertaining and also the funniest. There’s little pomp and even less circumstance, but its goofy pleasures are more than enough.
2. Wonder Woman 2017 will go down as the year the female-led and directed superhero movie made a statement heard around the world and at the box office to the tune of over $400 million domestic.
1. Logan The first Superhero movie of 2017 turned out to be the best one. Whether or not the “Wolverine” movies have a future — Jackman swears this is his last go-round — “Logan” is an exceedingly entertaining one.