“Jeopardy!” host Alex Trebek has no plans to leave his longtime post at the helm of the trivia game show, he said in a video on Wednesday.
In the video commemorating the final day of taping for Season 35 of the show, Trebek thanked fans for their support and encouragement in the weeks since he shared news of his pancreatic cancer diagnosis.
“Some of you may recall that at the beginning of this season, I promised you that we had surprises in store for you,” Trebek said. “Well, of course, I had no idea at the time that there were some surprises in store for me as well. So here, on the last day of taping for our 35th anniversary season, I wanted once again to thank you for your continuing messages of encouragement and support, particularly the many cards I’ve received from young people. I’m touched beyond words.”
Trebek revealed last month that he’d been diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, leading to his future as the host of “Jeopardy!” to become the subject of some speculation. But on Wednesday, the host promised to return for the new season in the fall.
“I’ve always tried to be straight with you, and I’m not going to stop now,” he said. “So despite what you may have heard, I’m feeling good, I’m continuing with my therapy, and we, by we, the staff, is already working on our next season, the 36th year of ‘Jeopardy!’ So I look forward to seeing you once again in September with all kinds of good stuff.”
Trebek renewed his contract with Sony Pictures Television last fall, agreeing to stay on as host of “Jeopardy!” through 2022. Per Sony, he has hosted 50 episodes of the show since he was first diagnosed.
“If anyone can beat this it’s Alex. He has our full support as he tackles this challenge head-on,” Sony Pictures Television chairman Mike Hopkins said in a statement when Trebek first revealed his diagnosis.
That’s a wrap! pic.twitter.com/iV0Of8xCEj
— Jeopardy! (@Jeopardy) April 17, 2019