Rebekah Martinez, one of the contestants on this season of “The Bachelor,” was reported missing by her mother, but as it turns out, she was just busy filming the show.
According to a report from the North Coast Journal and a listing on the California Attorney General’s website, Martinez was reported missing on Nov. 18 of last year, around the time she would have begun taping the show.
The report was first surfaced by the Journal in a cover story about the unusually high rate of missing persons in Humboldt County, California. A spokesperson for the local Sheriff’s Office told the paper that “Martinez had reportedly come to Humboldt County to work on a marijuana farm. Her mother hadn’t heard from her since Nov. 12, 2017” and reported her missing.
After the story was published, a fan of the show recognized Martinez as one of the 29 contestants vying for the attention of former race car driver Arie Luyendyk Jr. on the ABC reality show, the Journal reported.
The Journal reached out to the Sheriff’s Office, which spoke to Martinez and confirmed that she was not, in fact, missing. “I just got off the phone with Rebekah,” Public Information Officer Samantha Karges told the paper. “She is in fact the same person. She has been removed from (the Missing and Unidentified Persons Unit).”
Martinez addressed the mixup on Twitter on Friday: “MOM. how many times do I have to tell you I don’t get cell service on The Bachelor??”
MOM. how many times do I have to tell you I don’t get cell service on The Bachelor?? https://t.co/iYnxQCIZBt
— bekah martinez ♡ (@whats_ur_sign_) February 2, 2018