Channing Tatum has closed his deal to star in 20th Century Fox’s superhero movie “Gambit,” an insider with knowledge of the negotiations told TheWrap.
The move comes just three days after TheWrap exclusively reported that the deal between the actor and studio for the X-Men spinoff was in jeopardy.
Representatives for 20th Century Fox and Tatum could not immediately be reached for comment.
Insiders told TheWrap on Tuesday that the studio had been in the process of testing young actresses to star alongside Tatum, including Lea Seydoux, when the deal with Tatum hit a snag. At the time, the individual suggested that director Rupert Wyatt may have found himself in the market for a new leading man as well.
Backend profits and Tatum’s extended involvement with the “X-Men” franchise beyond the “Gambit” spinoff are said to be at the source of disagreement during final stages of negotiations.
As TheWrap also reported Tuesday, one individual close to the project said Tatum’s reps were still in active discussions with the studio but acknowledged that “something is up.” The situation needed to be resolved quickly, as “Gambit” is slated for release on Oct. 7, 2016.
Tatum recently appeared at San Diego Comic-Con to hype his turn as New Orleans thief Remy LeBeau, a.k.a. Gambit. The character was originally played by Taylor Kitsch in 2009’s “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.”
“Gambit” has long been a passion project for Tatum, whose attachment encouraged 20th Century Fox to ramp up production. However, Tatum also has larger ambitions, which may play a role in the current situation.
In a recent Grantland profile, Carolin said that he and Tatum are planning to make their directorial debut soon, so it’s possible that the star’s desire to segue behind the camera is factoring into his decision. The actor also slated to star in “23 Jump Street” for Sony.
Tatum is represented by UTA and Management 360.