MTV has announced the list of performers for the Video Music Awards pre-show, as well as the nominees in the social categories that are to be voted on by fans in the days leading up to the broadcast on Sunday.
Among the artists set to take the virtual pre-show stage are Chloe x Halle; Jack Harlow; Lewis Capaldi; Tate McRae; and Machine Gun Kelly, featuring Travis Barker and blackbear.
The 90-minute pre-show will be hosted by MTV’s Nessa Diab and Jamila Mustafa. In addition to performances from the artists listed above, the show will also feature “celebrity interviews and coast-to-coast coverage from celebrity correspondents, Kevan Kenney and Travis Mills.” It airs Sunday, Aug. 30 at 6:30 p.m. ET/PT, leading into the VMAs broadcast, hosted by Keke Palmer at 8 p.m. ET/PT.
MTV also unveiled new award this year, which will also be handed out during the main show broadcast, celebrating the best performances by doctors, nurses and other frontline medical workers.
Also Read: Keke Palmer to Host 2020 MTV VMAs - Watch Her Rap With Herself as True Jackson, Who's Now a CEO (Video)
Nominees for the “Everyday Heroes: Frontline Medical Workers” include:
- Dr. Elvis Francois and Dr. William Robinson – “Imagine”
- Dr. Nate Wood – “Lean On Me”
- Jefferson University Hospital’s Swab Squad – “Level Up”
- Jason “Tik Tok Doc” Campbell
- Lori Marie Key – “Amazing Grace”
MTV also announced Monday the nominees for the fan-voted categories on Monday, including the three finalists — Doja Cat, Lewis Capaldi and YUNGBLUD — for the PUSH Best New Artist award. Fans can vote for their favorite artist by direct messaging the VMAs account on Twitter until Friday, August 28th.
Fans can also vote for the Best Group award on MTV’s Instagram Story for 48 hours starting Monday. Nominees are 5 Seconds of Summer, The 1975, BLACKPINK, BTS, Chloe x Halle, CNCO, Little Mix, MONSTA X, Now United and twenty one pilots.
Voting for Song of the Summer will begin Wednesday, Aug. 26 on Instagram. Here are the nominees:
- BLACKPINK “How You Like That”
- Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion “WAP”
- DaBaby ft. Roddy Ricch “Rockstar”
- DJ Khaled ft. Drake “Popstar”
- Doja Cat “Say So”
- Dua Lipa “Break My Heart”
- Harry Styles “Watermelon Sugar”
- Jack Harlow “Whats Poppin”
- Lil Baby ft. 42 Dugg “We Paid”
- Megan Thee Stallion ft. Beyoncé “Savage (Remix)”
- Miley Cyrus “Midnight Sky”
- Pop Smoke ft. 50 Cent & Roddy Ricch “The Woo”
- SAINt JHN “Roses”
- Saweetie “Tap In”
- Taylor Swift “cardigan”
- The Weeknd “Blinding Lights”
Although originally intended to be held at Brooklyn’s Barclay Center, the 2020 VMAs will instead comprise several outdoor performances around New York City “with limited or no audience.” Performers include Ariana Grande, Black Eyed Peas, BTS, CNCO, DaBaby, Doja Cat, Lady Gaga, Maluma, Miley Cyrus and The Weeknd.
Gillmer and Den of Thieves co-founder Jesse Ignjatovic are executive producers for the 2020 “VMAs.” Barb Bialkowski is co-executive producer.