Grammy winner Chrisette Michele has agreed to perform at Donald Trump’s inaugural festivities on Friday — but doesn’t want people to know yet, the New York Daily News reports.
“Sources close to the festivities” told the paper a deal was reached a week ago, but has been kept “a big secret” for fear of backlash.
The singer’s camp was reportedly “especially concerned” after TheWrap reported Saturday that Jennifer Holliday, who agreed to perform for the president-elect last week, canceled her performance after complaints from her LGBT fans.
Michele’s reps and Trump’s inaugural team did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.
According to The Daily News, insiders said that inauguration organizers first asked Michele to perform the song “Intentional” with singers Travis Greene, Jonathan McReynolds and Tye Tribbett.
But the initial deal fell through after “at least two of those three singers declined the offer,” the paper said. The Daily News said Michele agreed to sing if she could perform R&B.
As TheWrap first reported, Trump’s team has had a rough time trying to book A-list performers for the inaugural balls which will take place starting Thursday. Several big-name artists, including Andrea Bocelli, Paul Anka, Garth Brooks, and Elton John have denied they are performing.
Other music legends, including Celine Dion, Gene Simmons and Charlotte Church, were asked to perform but declined.
Michele would join country crooners Toby Keith and Lee Greenwood, Motown singer Sam Moore and alternative rock band 3 Doors Down, who are set to perform at the festivities.