Florida officials believe that they have caught the alligator responsible for the death of a two-year-old boy in Orlando last week.
In a statement issued Wednesday, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission announced that they have ceased their alligator-trapping activities at Disney’s Grand Floridian resort. No positive identification has been made, but the commission said no other gators of a size capable of the attack have been spotted in the area.
In total, six gators were removed from the area, but the FWC said there was not enough evidence to say with certainty which one was responsible. The commission’s “subject matter experts” are confident that two of the captured gators were capable of inflicting the wounds found on Nebraska toddler Lane Graves’ body.
In the statement, the FWC also reiterated their sympathy for the Graves family.
“There are no words to describe the profound sadness we feel for the family of Lane Graves,” Nick Wiley, executive director of the FWC, said. “We will continue to keep this family close to our hearts as they deal with the pain and grief of the loss of Lane.”
A gator attacked and killed Graves while he was wading in shallow water at the edge of the Seven Seas Lagoon at Disney’s Grand Floridian resort last Tuesday night. The boys’ body was recovered intact by a dive team the following day near the location where the attack occurred.
Disney has been criticized since the incident for not having adequate signage warning of alligators despite a well-known presence of the deadly animals, and as TheWrap previously reported, the resort was made aware of the risk posed by the gators prior to the attack.