A male suspect was arrested Thursday morning in the destruction of Donald Trump’s Hollywood Walk of Fame star, the LAPD told TheWrap.
The LAPD cannot identify the man until he gets booked, but he was arrested on suspicion of felony vandalism.
On Wednesday, a man dressed as a construction worker pummeled the star with a sledgehammer.
Deadline posted video of the incident, and reported that the man identified himself as Jamie Otis, who said he was hoping to remove the star and auction it off to raise money for the women who have publicly accused the GOP presidential candidate of sexual misconduct. Trump has denied all allegations.
A police cruiser reportedly arrived on the scene at 6:15 a.m., but according to Deadline, Otis was already gone. An LAPD spokesperson told TheWrap the department received a vandalism call at 6 a.m. and was investigating the incident.
At the time, the department could not confirm the suspect’s name or motive, but a pick, sledgehammer, construction vest, construction net and construction hat were recovered at the scene. The LAPD spokesperson estimated the damage at $2,500, which is a felony.
Trump received the Walk of Fame star in 2007 in recognition of his work hosting NBC’s reality series “The Apprentice.” Arnold Schwarzenegger has taken over that job since Trump turned to politics.
This wasn’t the only act of vandalism on the star. Last January, it was defaced with a swastika — a Nazi symbol — and then someone erected a small wall around it in July to emulate the one Trump has proposed building on the U.S.-Mexico border.
A Batman impersonator in Hollywood previously told TheWrap he has “never seen this kind of hate put on a star before, not even Bill Cosby,” who has been accused of sexually assaulting dozens of women.