Donald Trump’s Miss USA Pageant Will Continue Without NBC

Show will go on regardless of the controversy surrounding its joint owner

The 2015 Miss USA pageant will still take place, regardless of the recent controversy surrounding its part owner, Donald Trump.

The Miss Universe Organization announced in a statement Tuesday that the pageant will still be held in Baton Rouge on July 12, despite NBC’s severance of ties with Trump on Monday, when the network announced that it would no longer air the Miss USA or the Miss Universe pageants.

“While world politics and other influences will undoubtedly play a role, the pageant will always seek to transcend controversy,” the organization said in a statement obtained by TheWrap. “We want our supporters to know we remain committed to them and we will be conducting the pageant, regardless of the current situation. We are moving forward, full-steam ahead as planned for the next two weeks, culminating in the crowning of a new Miss USA on July 12th.”

The controversy surrounding the pageant and joint owner Trump stems from comments made by the mogul regarding Mexican immigrants and U.S. border policy during his presidential campaign announcement last week.

“When Mexico sends its people,” he said, “they’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

The announcement comes less than a day after NBC ended its business relationship with Trump due to the presidential hopeful’s “derogatory” comments. The network announced that it would no longer air the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants, and that Trump would be removed as host of “The Celebrity Apprentice.”

Keep
Reading...

Looks like you’re enjoying reading
Keep reading by creating
a free account or logging in.