FX President ‘Confident’ That ‘Mayans MC’ Will Move Forward Despite Shakeup

TCA 2017: The “Sons of Anarchy” spinoff was recently plagued with reshoots and recasting decisions

Last Updated: August 9, 2017 @ 11:40 AM

Despite recent shakeups in the development of the “Sons of Anarchy” spinoff “Mayans MC,” the FX president said that it’s on track.

“I’m confident about the future of that spinoff,” John Landgraf told a room of reporters at the Television Critics Assocation’s summer press tour on Wednesday.

A preview video before Landgraf took questions showed clips of multiple FX shows, including a brief glimpse of “Mayans MC.”

“I’m really excited about where we are in the process of ‘Mayans,'” he added.

In July, TheWrap learned FX was in the middle of reshoots and recasting for “Mayans MC,” although few details were announced.

Norberto Barba, best known as the showrunner on all six seasons of NBC’s “Grimm,” took over from Elgin James to direct the pilot.

The series is set in a post-Jax Teller “Sons of Anarchy” world, where E.Z. Reyes (JD Pardo), a prospect in the Mayan MC charter on the Cali/Mexico border, struggles with his desire for vengeance against the cartel, and his need for respect from the woman he loves.

“Mayans MC” had already cast a number of lead roles, announced earlier this year. Pardo had been cast as the lead. Edward James Olmos had been cast as Felipe Reyes while “American Crime” star Richard Cabral (pictured above) had also been cast as Johnny “El Coco” Cruz, a full patch member of Mayans MC, Santo Padre.

Other cast members include John Ortiz, Antonio Jaramillo and Clayton Cardenas.

Landgraf added that he was excited about the cast, which consists entirely of Latino actors.

“There are familiar faces to me like Edward James Olmos, but there are a lot of new actors that we found that I didn’t know about before, which is great,” he said.