Harvey Weinstein’s sexual assault trial, which was initially scheduled to begin June 3 has been delayed until Sept. 9. a spokesperson for Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance, Jr., said Friday.
According to the Associated Press, a New York City judge announced the delay Friday following a closed-door hearing. Prosecutors are trying to get Judge James Burke to allow some of Weinstein’s accusers to testify during his trial.
Weinstein faces five counts, including rape. He’s accused of raping a woman in a New York hotel room in 2013 and forcibly performing oral sex on another woman at his Manhattan apartment in 2006. Weinstein has denied all accusations.
“The Court is additionally holding June 21, 2019 at 9:30 a.m. as a ‘control date’ in the event that an additional appearance is necessary to resolve pretrial issues,” the Vance spokesperson said in a statement.
In November, Weinstein’s now-former attorney Benjamin Brafman filed paperwork in New York Supreme Court saying that the entire prosecution had been tainted by police misconduct. Vance dismissed a sixth criminal charge against Weinstein, in which Lucia Evans accused Weinstein of forcing her to perform oral sex on him in 2004.
Weinstein was initially indicted on six charges, including predatory sexual assault, criminal sexual act in the first degree, rape in the first degree and rape in the third degree. He has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges. He is also being investigated by police in Los Angeles and London.
Pamela Chelin contributed to this report.