The Supreme Court of the United States ruled on Friday that same-sex marriage is a constitutional right for every American, regardless of what state they live in, and people have taken to social media to share in the love.
“Oh Happy Day!” former “Star Trek” star George Takei, a well-known LGBT activist, wrote on Facebook. “The Supreme Court has ruled 5-4 that marriage equality is the law of the United States. Yes, ALL of these United States. I have waited decades for this day, and my heart is full of joy and my eyes wet with tears. Let the celebrations begin, and may the happy couples live long and prosper together.”
“Love won,” Ellen DeGeneres tweeted.
Take a look below at more reactions from Hollywood stars across film, TV and music.
SUPREME COURT RULES FOR MARRIAGE EQUALITY!!! Fourteenth Amendment requires a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex.
– Lance Bass (@LanceBass) June 26, 2015
Today is a big step in our march toward equality. Gay and lesbian couples now have the right to marry, just like anyone else. #LoveWins
– President Obama (@POTUS) June 26, 2015
Very happy about the SCOTUS rulings this week! Marriage Equality, Fair Housing and Affordable Health Care!
– John Legend (@johnlegend) June 26, 2015
Supreme Court rules 5-4 that same-sex marriage is legal nationwide. YES!!!!!!!
– Emmy Rossum (@emmyrossum) June 26, 2015
– Tegan and Sara (@teganandsara) June 26, 2015
Huge day for America.. Happy to see the news. All the love
– Harry Styles. (@Harry_Styles) June 26, 2015
Love won. #MarriageEquality
– Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) June 26, 2015
– Denis O’Hare (@denisohare) June 26, 2015
I LOVE THIS COUNTRY #MarriageEquaility
– Ike Barinholtz (@ikebarinholtz) June 26, 2015
– Game Of Thrones (@GameOfThrones) June 26, 2015
Holy shit SCOTUS!! What an amazing day and what a great step forward for America
– Kristin Chenoweth (@KChenoweth) June 26, 2015
– Sean Hayes (@theseanhayes) June 26, 2015
– Orphan Black (@OrphanBlack) June 26, 2015
- Jack Falahee (@RestingPlatypus) June 26, 2015