(Spoiler alert: Do not read on if you have not yet watched Sunday’s episode of Showtime’s “Homeland” titled “Redux.”)
Claire Danes was off her meds and on her way to a full mental breakdown in Sunday night’s episode of “Homeland.” And that put her in the perfect state to need the comfort she could only get from one person.
Of course, that one person was dead and gone, so what was Damian Lewis doing on “Homeland”? As Danes fell into his arms, she wasn’t sure if what she was seeing was real, and neither were fans at home.
After a fantastic first season, Lewis’ Brody quickly became the anchor dragging the potential of the show down. So while he was a catalyst for viewers to fall in love with Danes’ Carrie Matheson in the first place, he outlived his welcome and nearly drove the show into creative ruin last season.
So his return is somewhat bittersweet for Carrie and fans of the show. In the post-Brody era, “Homeland” has been revitalized, even as Carrie has become more and more unlikable and unhinged. That his appearance here was a hallucination makes it acceptable, but it also shows just how hung up she remains on him as a crutch in her emotional existence.
But as much as his appearance shocked Carrie, fans were even more stunned — and unsure what they were seeing — taking to Twitter to share their shock, outrage or joy … or maybe all three. And there was still a little hate left over for Brody’s poor daughter, Dana (Morgan Saylor).
Homeland is off the charts nuts tonight. One of the best sequences ever!
– Billy Power (@getatbillypower) November 10, 2014
– Stephanie Jones (@BlueEyedJones) November 10, 2014
– HzmtH1 (@HzmtH1) November 10, 2014
OMG #HOMELAND. THIS EPISODE. THESE FEELS.
– AJ Marechal (@ajmarechal) November 10, 2014
As long as Brody’s daughter doesn’t come back, I don’t care how weird #homeland gets.
– Elliott Schwartz (@elliosch) November 10, 2014
– Leney Powdrell (@lenizookini) November 10, 2014
– CAPRICORN MC (@Cappadonna) November 10, 2014
– Laura M. Fagan (@LongIslandLaura) November 10, 2014
I wonder how the characters on The Newsroom are going to handle the death of Brody on Homeland.
– John Levenstein (@johnlevenstein) November 10, 2014
– Michael O’Keefe (@mokeefeman) November 10, 2014
– Homeland on tvtag (@tvtagHomeland) November 10, 2014
“Homeland” airs Sundays at 9 p.m. ET on Showtime.