The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has released a slickly produced 52-second video threatening to kill American troops if the U.S. steps up its campaign against the terrorist organization in Iraq and Syria.
The video, titled “Flames of War,” resembles a trailer for a Hollywood blockbuster and vows a campaign of violence is “coming soon” against American forces. The ominous message comes after President Barack Obama’s speech on Sept. 10 announcing the U.S. would expand airstrikes to “degrade, and ultimately destroy” ISIS.
The clip shows militants blowing up tanks and wounded U.S. soldiers. It even includes shots of the White House and a clip of President Obama saying “American combat troops will not be returning to fight in Iraq.”
The terrorist group has previously posted videos on the Internet showing a militant beheading kidnapped American journalists Steven Sotloff and James Foley, and British aid worker David Haines.
Laith Alkhouri, a senior analyst who tracks militant websites for New York security consulting firm Flashpoint Global Partners, told The New York Times that the video is part of ISIS’ campaign to be “more relentless than ever.”
“In some ways, it’s attempting to prove to jihadists that while Al-Qaeda is missing in action, we are rising to the occasion. It demonstrates the true intention of the group, to operate on an international level,” he said.
Meanwhile on Wednesday afternoon, the House approved President Obama’s plan to arm Syrian rebels in the fight against ISIS. The Senate is expected to give final passage to the measure on Thursday.