Fox has ordered two additional episodes of “Lethal Weapon,” with Damon Wayans confirmed to return, TheWrap has learned.
The third season of the police drama will now total 15 episodes.
The news comes after Wayans spontaneously announced in an interview last week that he planned to quit the show in December because he was “too old” for the long days.
“I’m going to be quitting the show in December after we finish the initial 13 [episodes],” he told Electronic Urban Report. “I’m a 58-year-old diabetic and I’m working 16-hour days.”
The actor said at the time that he planned to “return to the stage” to “try to find my smile again.”
“Lethal Weapon” returned for its third season last month with Seann William Scott as a new series regular, stepping in for original star Clayne Crawford. Crawford was fired at the end of last season following multiple clashes with Wayans on set and repeated warnings about his behavior.
Deadline first reported the news of the additional episodes.
11 TV Cast Upheavals, From Kevin Spacey in 'House of Cards' to Clayne Crawford in 'Lethal Weapon' (Photos)
- Ray Mickshaw/FOX
- Getty Images
- Jeff Spicer/Getty Images
These shows have had major cast shakeups in recent months
Actor Seann William Scott took over the role of Martin Riggs for the show's third season, which got the green light from Fox on May 13. A representative from Warner Bros. Television said the studio "decided not to renew Clayne Crawford’s contract for ‘Lethal Weapon'" after reports of bad behavior on set, described as "complaints of emotional abuse and creating a hostile environment."
Crawford apologized last month and wished the "Lethal Weapon" team luck on their third season without him. “To my cast and crew – CONGRATULATIONS on season 3!” Crawford wrote. “To the Fans – Thank you for the overwhelming support and love. Riggs was a dream role and the experience will live with me forever. My heart is full. Good Luck nxt season!!” he said on Instagram over the weekend.
"I take great pride in treating everyone in life with dignity and kindness," the 40-year-old actor said in April. "I am very grateful for my job, and I work extremely hard at it. I have a responsibility to do good work for my coworkers, my family, and my home state, and most especially for the fans. I hope they will stick with me and stick with the show."
Fox bosses said the decision to move ahead with a new season without Crawford was not their decision, but that of Warner Bros.
"Ultimately, our partners at Warner Bros. come to us about three weeks ago to tell us that they could not deliver ‘Lethal Weapon’ as we’ve known it before, that there were some real challenges in the cast. They thought long and hard about it. I know that was not their first choice,” said Dana Walden, Chairmen and CEO, Fox Television Group.