Mark Hamill thinks there was “a great missed opportunity” in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and gave his two cents on what he would’ve changed in the hit 2015 sequel.
In an interview with Fandango’s Erik Davis at last week’s Star Wars Celebration, the Luke Skywalker actor said he had hoped for a Skywalker/Han Solo reunion in the movie. And — spoiler alert! — he would have put Leia and Luke in the position of witnessing Han Solo’s death instead of new characters Finn and Rey.
“We carry so much emotional resonance into the next film, for us — his wife, his best friend — to witness, instead of two characters that’ve known him what, 20 minutes?” he said. “Well, Chewie. But still, no, I thought there was a great missed opportunity,” said Hamill.
However, the actor admits he has “so many really terrible ideas” and may even make a list of the most outrageous ones he’s had: “I look back now, I go, ‘What was I thinking?'”
— ErikDavis (@ErikDavis) April 14, 2017
At the Celebration, Lucasfilm dropped the poster and first trailer for the eighth installment in the franchise, this December’s “The Last Jedi.”
The late Carrie Fisher was also honored at the event, with George Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy, daughter Billie Lourd and other members of the “Star Wars” family speaking of how Fisher changed their lives with her jovial presence and extraordinary acting ability.
The event included a tribute video showing how the actress freely quipped about the undying celebrity status “Star Wars” had both blessed and cursed her with and how, even nearly 40 years later, she could still recite with ease the plea for help Leia gave to Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness) through R2-D2 in Lucas’ original 1977 movie.
“Star Wars” The Force Awakens” has grossed over $2 billion worldwide since it debuted in December 2015, making it the third highest-grossing film globally after “Avatar” and “Titanic.” Domestically, the film was the highest-grossing film in history.