Republican Vice Presidential nominee Mike Pence said he can’t condone or defend Donald Trump’s lewd comments about women that were revealed when a 2005 hot mic video conversation was released on Friday.
“As a husband and a father, I was offended by the words and actions described by Donald Trump in the 11-year-old video released yesterday. I do not condone his remarks and cannot defend them. I am grateful that he has expressed remorse and apologized to the American people,” Pence said in a statement.
He continued: “We pray for his family and look forward to the opportunity he has to show what is in his heart when he goes before the nation tomorrow night.”
On Friday, The Washington Post published the full 2005 tape of Trump boasting about kissing, groping and having sex with women, saying that “when you’re a star, they let you do anything … I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything,” he said. “Grab ‘em by the p-y.”
Trump has apologized and told the Wall Street Journal that he won’t drop out, but numerous GOP leaders are calling for Trump to step aside. Meanwhile, a Politico/Morning Consult poll conducted after the vice presidential debate this week indicated that Nearly a third of Trump supporters, 32 percent, said they would rather vote for Pence for president than Trump (59 percent said they would rather vote for Trump).
Pence was widely considered the winner the vice presidential debate earlier this week, in stark contrast to polls showing Trump lost handily to Clinton in the first presidential debate last week.