‘Roseanne’ Cast, Showrunner React to Star’s Tweets After Show Cancellation: ‘Abhorrent,’ ‘Abuse of Power’

ABC canceled show Tuesday

Last Updated: May 29, 2018 @ 5:42 PM

After “Roseanne” star Roseanne Barr tweeted comments about Valerie Jarrett and George Soros that have been condemned as racist Tuesday morning, leading ABC to cancel the hit show outright, Barr’s costars have weighed in with regret and outrage.

“Roseanne’s recent comments about Valerie Jarrett, and so much more, are abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show. I am disappointed in her actions to say the least,” tweeted “Roseanne” executive producer Sara Gilbert.

“This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we’ve created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love — one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member.”

In a statement following the cancellation, “Roseanne” showrunner Bruce Helford said he was “horrified and saddened” by Barr’s tweets.

“On behalf of all the writers and producers, we worked incredibly hard to create an amazing show. I was personally horrified and saddened by the comments and in no way do they reflect the values of the people who worked so hard to make this the iconic show that it is,” Helford said.

On Tuesday morning, Barr sent a tweet suggesting that former Barack Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett is a product of the Muslim Brotherhood and the “Planet of the Apes,” though she later apologized. Around the same time, Barr started an argument with Chelsea Clinton in which the actress repeated a racist and antisemitic conspiracy theory about George Soros.

Shortly after Gilbert’s tweet, ABC decided to cancel “Roseanne” over Barr’s tweets.

Co-star Emma Kenney tweeted that she had called her manager to quit the show over Barr’s statements when she learned the show had been canceled. Kenney praised ABC for “standing up against abuse of power and lack of values,” adding that “bullies do not win. Ever.”

Michael Fishman, who starred as Roseanne’s son D.J. Conner on both iterations of the sitcom, seemed to back ABC’s decision to cancel the show, calling Barr’s tweets “reprehensible and intolerable.”

“I feel devastated, not for the end of the Roseanne show, but for all those who poured their hearts and souls into our jobs, and the audience that welcomed us into their homes,” he wrote. “In this moment it is important to be clear. We must stand-up against bias, hatred, bigotry and ignorance to make society a better place for all.”

Executive producer Tom Werner, whose company Carsey-Werner produces the show, also voiced support for ABC’s decision in the wake of Barr’s “reprehensible” tweets.

“Our goal was to promote constructive discussion about the issues that divide us,” he said in a statement. “It represented the work of hundreds of talented people. I hope the good work done is not totally eclipsed by these abhorrent and offensive comments, and that Roseanne seeks the help she so clearly needs.”

Barr apologized before ABC’s statement on Tuesday, saying that her statement suggesting that former Barack Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett is a product of the Muslim Brotherhood and the “Planet of the Apes” was a “joke” that was “in bad taste. “I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks,” Barr said. “I should have known better. Forgive me-my joke was in bad taste.”

The “Roseanne” star’s tweet caused swift backlash on Twitter, and consulting producer Wanda Sykes said she would not be returning to the sitcom on Tuesday morning.