Sean Spicer Downplays ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Blowback: ‘I Look Forward to Having Some Fun’

Harsh public reaction is nothing new for the former White House press secretary, who once said in a news conference Hitler didn’t use chemical weapons

Last Updated: August 22, 2019 @ 7:16 AM

Sean Spicer is downplaying the blowback to Wednesday’s announcement that he’s been cast in the upcoming Season 28 of ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars.”

“I think this is an entertainment show,” Spicer told CNN, which also reported that ABC News staffers are “up in arms” over their company paying someone who they say was “horrible” to them during his time as White House press secretary.

“I look forward to having some fun. And if people are looking for news, I suggest they tune into a news program,” Spicer told CNN, mirroring the language he used on Twitter when announcing his casting.

Earlier in the day, co-host Tom Bergeron criticized the dancing competition show for the inclusion of Spicer, arguing that “DWTS” should be a “joyful respite” from the “exhausting political climate.”

Negative public reaction to his statements are nothing new for Spicer. During his time as press secretary, for instance, the Anne Frank Center demanded President Trump fire him for saying in a news conference that Adolf Hitler never used chemical weapons. When he did eventually resign from his position, he was roasted on Twitter.

A representative for Spicer did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“Dancing With the Stars” Season 28 is set to debut on Monday, Sept. 16 on ABC at 8/7c. Bergeron and Erin Andrews are set to return as hosts, along with judges Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba.