That didn’t take long. Just two days after Phil Lord and Chris Miller unceremoniously departed from the yet-to-be-named Han Solo “Star Wars” film, famed Hollywood veteran Ron Howard has been brought in by Lucasfilm to complete the film, with the final three weeks of shooting resuming on July 10. The fanbase’s reaction to the development has been varied.
- Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) June 22, 2017
Howard already has a distant connection to “Star Wars,” as he worked with the series creator George Lucas and Han Solo himself, Harrison Ford, on Lucas’ “American Graffiti,” something that film buffs on Twitter were quick to point out.
- Tim Grierson (@TimGrierson) June 22, 2017
As for whether Howard is the right man to pick up the slack on this “Star Wars” anthology film, no one is really sure. Some feel that Howard’s pedigree will help guide the film to completion. Others feel that Howard’s approach to filmmaking is so different from Lord and Miller’s that it may be a sign Lucasfilm doesn’t know what they want this film to be.
If your film can go from Lord & Miller to Ron Howard that tells me you don’t even know what tone you want.
- Scott Weinberg (@scottEweinberg) June 22, 2017
For those worried about Ron Howard climbing on board to direct the HAN SOLO movie… I have two words for you: Apollo 13.
- Jordan Z. Adler (@jordanzadler) June 22, 2017
Ron Howard now directing the Han Solo movie. If he can make it as good as Rush, then it’s in good hands.
- Alan Horne (@alanjhorne) June 22, 2017
See Ron Howard's latest POWER MOVE.
But mostly, fans reacted to the hire by flooding Twitter with “Arrested Development” jokes.
- Josh Kurp (@JoshKurp) June 22, 2017
- Bad Father Han Solo (@BadFatherHan) June 22, 2017
Lawrence Kasdan: Ron Howard is the prefect choice to take over this Han Solo film.[Ron Howard voice]: I wasn’t.
- Dr. Clitterhouse (@SaulRosenbear) June 22, 2017
- M.A. Vanderbilt (@MikeVanderbilt) June 22, 2017
- Baking Brad (@brad__c) June 22, 2017