Steve Harvey on Infamous Closed-Door Memo: ‘I’m Not Really a Mean-Spirited Guy’

TCA 2017: “I was OK until I saw it on CNN, and that’s when I knew I was in a lot of trouble,” the “Family Feud” host says

Last Updated: August 3, 2017 @ 6:49 PM

Steve Harvey has a lot to say about the leaked email to his staff that went viral earlier this year.

The talk show host spoke to reporters at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour on Thursday to promote his new daytime show “Steve.” During the event, he was asked about the memo in which he told employees on his daytime talk show to stop “ambushing” him and that they will be “removed” if they open the door to his dressing room.

“That email, I learned two things from that email,” Harvey said at the press event with a laugh. “Number one, I can’t write, and I should never write. It was something I wrote a year ago, and somebody didn’t get a job coming to L.A., and they got pissed.”

“I was OK until I saw it on CNN, and that’s when I knew I was in a lot of trouble,” the “Family Feud” host continued. “The email was out there — it wasn’t that big a deal to me. I’m not really a mean-spirited guy at all — I’m really a congenial guy.”

He likened his sentiment to when “you go home every day, and all your kids is in the kitchen waiting on you — you just need a moment.”

“I thought it was cute — you all didn’t,” he added to reporters.