Tony Goldwyn Opens Up About Sexual Harassment as an Acting Student (Video)

“I thought it was my fault. I thought I was misunderstanding the situation and only afterwards did I realize what had happened,” the “Scandal” star says

Last Updated: October 23, 2017 @ 12:51 PM

“Scandal” star Tony Goldwyn says that he was a victim of sexual harassment as a young acting student.

“It happened to me as a young guy … my last year of acting school,” Goldwyn said in an interview with “Access Hollywood” last week. “It happened to me by a man and it wasn’t as extended or awful as what Lupita [Nyong’o] went through, but it was the same thing.”

Goldwyn was responding to an op-ed Nyong’o wrote in the New York Times, detailing an encounter with Harvey Weinstein in 2011, in which she said the producer made inappropriate advances on her. Goldwyn explained that his experience, which happened at the same age, was very similar.

“It was the casting couch and I didn’t understand quite what was going on, or what was happening,” he said. “I thought it was my fault. I thought I was misunderstanding the situation and only afterwards did I realize what had happened.”

Goldwyn’s comments came at the red carpet for the 2017 GLSEN Respect Awards in Los Angeles on Friday. The interview is set to air on Tuesday’s episode of “Access Hollywood.”

“It took me a couple years to get over it. It was similar in that I got out of the situation,” Goldwyn said. “For a woman, it’s something women have to deal with in every situation, in every industry with powerful men.”

Watch Goldwyn’s “Access Hollywood” clip above.