Kristen Bell Promises More ‘Veronica Mars’ — and it Won’t Be Crowdfunded

“We’ll never make the fans pay for it again,” actress says

Last Updated: October 26, 2017 @ 12:40 PM

Kristen Bell is promising that more “Veronica Mars” is on the way — and you won’t have to smash your piggy bank this time to make it happen.

The actress offered the optimistic update during Ryan Hansen’s Facebook Live interview with IndieWire on Wednesday to promote his YouTube Red series “Ryan Hansen Solves Crimes on Television.” When asked about the status of a “Veronica Mars” revival, Hansen — who co-starred as Dick Casablancas on the spy series — called Bell on the phone to get the latest directly from her.

“We are willing to put the effort in — I mean, if I have to do it as ‘Murder She Wrote’ at 80, we’re going to do it,” Bell said. “It’s going to happen.”

Bell pointed out that the timing could be difficult, given that she stars on NBC’s “The Good Place,” meaning that a new “Veronica Mars” project would likely have to be a miniseries instead of getting a full-season run.

Bell also assured fans that she and series creator Rob Thomas have decided that they won’t make fans crowd-fund new episodes, as was the path for the 2014 film “Veronica Mars.”

“Rob and I email about it every couple of months or so,” Bell continued. “And personally I think, and I think Rob probably agrees, is that a) we’ll never make the fans pay for it again, and b) the format works better as an episodic [series].”

Bell starred as the titular spy character in the series that ran for three seasons before signing off in May 2007.

Reboots continue to be a hot trend throughout this development season, while Netflix has had success in bringing back previously departed shows like “Gilmore Girls” and “Full House.”