Now that we've talked out "Black Mirror" Season 3 with our therapist, it's time to think about Season 4 of Charlie Brooker's masterful Netflix series. Here's everything we know so far about Season 4, including when it will likely return.
1. Jodie Foster will direct an episodeThe "Silence of the Lambs" star knows a little something about horror. And her work on "Contact," another bit of sci-fi social criticism, will prepare her well to work on "Black Mirror." This sounds like a marriage made in San Junipero.
2. Rosemary DeWitt will star in Foster's episodeDeWitt, whose latest role is in "La La Land," also led the 2015 remake of "Poltergeist." That should prepare her well for the haunted world of "Black Mirror."
3. Foster's episode will feature a mother-daughter relationshipCharlie Brooker said in a recent interview with The Telegraph that Foster's episode will have"the tone of an indie movie, an indie drama. There's a mother and daughter relationship in it."
4. It will last six episodes againWhen Netflix ordered 12 episodes of the anthology, it decided to split them up into two seasons of six episodes each. It will probably return in the fall since 1) that's when Season 3 aired 2) Netflix hasn't announced an earlier date.
5. One episode will be "overtly comic""We've got one that's overtly comic, much more overtly comic than anything we've done," Brooker told The Telegraph. "It's got fairly mainstream comic elements, but also some really unpleasant stuff that happens. I haven't even seen the rough cut of it yet." (So we guess it will be funnier than "National Anthem"? Then again, what wouldn't be?)
6. An episode will shoot in IcelandMuch of Season 3 was shot in South Africa. Season 4 will go in a very different direction, climate-wise.
"One's shooting in Iceland, which hasn't been announced yet," Brooker told The Telegraph.
So at least one episode will be chillier than "White Christmas."
6. The director of "San Junipero" won't be backIn an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, "San Junipero" director Owen Harris said he wouldn't direct any "Black Mirror" Season 4 episodes because of scheduling conflicts.
8. But that's okay, because you shouldn't want a "San Junipero" sequel.Harris said any sequel to the Mackenzie Davis-Gugu Mbatha-Raw love story wouldn't necessarily be happy. "Charlie Brooker [pictured] might not want to do two happy endings!"