Women roared at the 91st Academy Awards on Sunday, picking up a record 15 trophies — the most in Oscar history. With 39 male winners this year, that means women earned nearly 27.8 percent of the statuettes handed out.
The previous record came in both 2007 and 2015, when women earned a total of 12 statuettes, including for the two actress categories.
And it comes after just six women earned Oscars at last year’s ceremony, compared with 33 male winners. That’s little more than 15 percent. It was the lowest number of female winners since 2012’s show (the 85th annual Academy Awards), when only four women brought home statuettes.
In addition to Regina King, who won Best Supporting Actress for her role in “If Beale Street Could Talk,” and Best Actress winner Olivia Colman, for “The Favourite,” the following women earned Oscars on Sunday:
- Ruth Carter, costume design for “Black Panther”
- Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Shannon Dill, documentary feature for “Free Solo” (shared with Jimmy Chin and Evan Hayes)
- Rayka Zehtabchi and Melissa Berton, documentary short for “Period. End of Sentence.”
- Kate Biscoe and Patricia DeHaney, makeup and hairstyling for “Vice” (shared with Greg Cannom)
- Hannah Beachler, costume design for “Black Panther” (shared with Jay Hart)
- Domee Shi and Becky Neiman-Cobb, animated short for “Bao”
- Jaime Ray Newman, live-action short for “Skin” (shared with Guy Nattiv)
- Nina Hartstone, sound editing for “Bohemian Rhapsody” (shared with John Warhurst)
- Lady Gaga, original song for “Shallow” from “A Star Is Born” (shared with Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando and Andrew Wyatt)
Women accounted for 27.5 percent of all the Oscar nominees this year, a slight uptick from last year’s record-setting year, in which only 26.8 percent of the nominations went to women.
Of the 225 individuals nominated this year in the 24 competitive categories, 62 women were named, based on a tally from TheWrap. That’s compared to just 57 of 213 individual nominees in 2018 (26.8 percent), and 48 of 211 in 2017 (22.7 percent).