TCA 2014: “SNL” wins Heritage Award
AMC’s “Breaking Bad” earned the Television Critics Association’s Program of the Year award for the second consecutive year, while Netflix’s “Orange is the New Black” won for Outstanding New Program.
“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” star Terry Crews hosted the awards Saturday, which marked the TCA’s 30th anniversary. The votes were cast by TCA’s 220 critics and reporters.
HBO’s “True Detective” won Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials, and star Matthew McConaughey was honored with Individual Achievement in Drama for his portrayal of Detective Rust Cohle. HBO’s “Veep,” tied with FX’s “Louie” for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy, and “Veep” star Julia Louis-Dreyfus won for Individual Achievement in Comedy.
CBS’s “The Good Wife” won for Outstanding Achievement in Drama. Logo’s “RuPaul’s Drag Race” won for Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming, ABC Family’s “The Fosters” won for Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming, and Fox/National Geographic Channel’s “COSMOS: A SpaceTime Odyssey” earned top honors for Outstanding Achievement in News & Information.
The TCA’s Heritage Award went to “Saturday Night Live,” and director-writer-producer James Burrows won a Career Achievement Award for his work on shows including “Cheers,” “Taxi,” and “Will & Grace.”
“This was truly a monumental year — not just for television, but for our organization, as a whole,” said TCA president Scott D. Pierce, a TV critic for The Salt Lake Tribune. “These winners truly are the absolute best of the best, and they could not be more deserving of the awards they’ve earned tonight. But, the real stars are our members, who have worked so tirelessly to make the Television Critics Association the highly respected and influential entity that it is today. Without them, none of this would have been possible. I’m excited to see what the next 30 years has in store for us.”
Here’s the complete list of winners:
- Individual Achievement in Drama: Matthew McConaughey (“True Detective,” HBO)
- Individual Achievement in Comedy: Julia Louis-Dreyfus (“Veep,” HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: “COSMOS: A SpaceTime Odyssey” (FOX and National Geographic Channel)
- Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: “RuPaul’s Drag Race” (LOGO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: “The Fosters” (ABC Family)
- Outstanding New Program: “Orange is the New Black” (Netflix)
- Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials: “True Detective” (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Drama: “The Good Wife” (CBS)
- Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: (Tie) “Veep” (HBO) and “Louie” (FX)
- Career Achievement Award: James Burrows
- Heritage Award: “Saturday Night Live” (NBC)
- Program of the Year: “Breaking Bad” (AMC) – second consecutive