Comedian Hannibal Buress hosts 19th annual event, streaming online May 19 at 9 a.m. ET
Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Netflix, HBO Go and Hulu are among the winners of the 19th Annual Webby Awards. Hosted by comedian Hannibal Buress at Cipriani Wall Street, the ceremony will be available on demand beginning at 9 a.m. ET on Tuesday, May 19 at WebbyAwards.com.
In addition to the myriad awards selected by the IADAS (International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences) judges, this year’s ceremony includes the Webby’s People’s Voice Awards, voted on by 500,000 Internet fans from over 200 countries. The hashtag campaign #LikeAGirl, TED, Pandora and “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” earned the most votes, with Netflix taking home the People’s Special Achievement Webby.
Netflix scored big at this year’s Webbys, with wins for Chelsea Peretti’s comedy special “One of the Greats,” and Best Actress and Actor nods for “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” leads Ellie Kemper and Tituss Burgess. Meanwhile, Hulu took awards for Best Streaming Video Mobile App and Website.
Another big social movement that scored big in the online community in 2015 was the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, which will receive a Special Achievement award for its phenomenal success in raising awareness and more than $220 million for the fight against Lou Gehrig’s disease.
A Special Achievement award will also be given to Jerome Jarre, for his impressive prowess and influence on the social media platforms Vine and Snapchat.
Tinder was highlighted for recognition as Breakout of the Year, while Wired Magazine co-founders Louis Rossetto and Jane Metcalfe will be honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Buress partnered with Webby winner Funny or Die for a NSFW short video to promote his upcoming hosting stint. In the video, Buress finds himself captured and taken to another awards show to celebrate the seedier side of the Internet with the “Deep Webby Awards.”
Entertainment highlights from the 19th Annual Webby Awards Winners include:
- Jimmy Fallon won the Webby Award and People Voice for Best Entertainment App and a Webby Award for Best Television Website
- CollegeHumor won both the Webby Award and Peoples Voice award for Best Individual Performance and Best Writing categories for “If Google Was A Guy”
- Funny or Die won its third Webby for best Humor Website
- Jimmy Kimmel won the Webby Award for Comedy in the Online Film & Video category for his “Mean Tweets”, a Webby Award and Peoples Voice Award for his “Halloween Candy Prank” in the Viral and Branded Entertainment categories in Online Film & Video
- HBO GO won the Webby Award for Best Media Streaming Website
- Coldplay won the Webby Award for Best Music and Best Use of Interactive Video in the Online Film & Video category, and People’s Voice Award for Animation in the Online Film & Video category for the “Ink” music video
- Jamie Oliver’s Food Tube won the Webby Award for the Best How-to & DIY in the Online Film & Video category
- Grumpy Cat won the Webby Award and People’s Voice Award in the Best Animals Social category
- Hulu won the Webby Award and People’s Voice Award for the Best Streaming Video Mobile App and a Webby Award for Best Media Streaming Website
- SoundCloud won the Webby Award and People’s Voice Award for Best Streaming Audio and a Webby Award for Best Music App
Other highlights from The 19th Annual Webby Awards winners include:
- Buzzfeed won the Webby for Best News App (Handheld Devices)
- Evernote won the Webby for Best Productivity App
- The New Yorker won the Webby for Best Writing (Editorial) website and Best Magazine Website
- Two Dots won both the Webby and People’s Voice Award for Best Visual Design – Aesthetic (Mobile & Apps), and the Webby Award for Best Gaming App (Handheld Devices)
- VF.com Edward Snowden “Patriot or Traitor?” won the Webby for Individual Episode in Online Film & Video
- GoPro won the Webby and People’s Voice for Culture & Lifestyle in Social, and the Webby and People’s Voice for Best Consumer Electronics Website
- Squarespace won the Webby for Best Aesthetic Design in Websites
- Shyp won the Webby in Best User Experience App and Best Services & Utilities App (Handheld Devices)
Winners of multiple awards include, among others:
- #LikeAGirl (11) Viral Marketing, Online Commercials (Interactive Advertising & Media) Short Form, Viral (Online Film & Video), Best Use of Video, Corporate Communications (Social)
- TED (11) Education and Reference App (Handheld Devices), Science & Education (Online Film & Video), Events (Websites) Best Practices, Best Home/Welcome Page, Education (Websites)
- VICE Media (10) Best Writing (Editorial), Fashion & Beauty, and Sports categories in Websites and Best Scripted Branded Entertainment, News & Politics: Series, News & Politics: Individual Episode, Documentary: Series, Documentary: Individual Episode, Scripted (Online Film & Video)
- IDEO (5) Car Sites & Car Culture, Corporate Communications (Websites – Marketplace),Health, Wellness, Pharmaceutical, and Financial Services & Insurance (Interactive Advertising & Media)
- The New York Times (4) News, Blog – Cultural (Websites), Travel & Adventure (Online Film & Video)
- Hyperlapse (4) Best Use of Mobile Camera, Best User Interface, Social (Mobile & Apps)
- Mashable (4) Best Use of Photography (Websites – Features) Overall Social Presence (Social) Blog – Business (Websites – Marketplace)
Catch the 19th Annual Webby Awards on demand beginning at 9 a.m. ET on Tuesday, May 19 at WebbyAwards.com.