Warner Bros. to Hold Box-Office Numbers for ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Until Monday (Updated)

Following Colorado tragedy, opening-weekend box-office earnings for "The Dark Knight Rises" will be delayed  "out of respect for the victims," Warner Bros. says

Updated 6:15 p.m. PST

Warner Bros. will delay issuing box-office earnings reports for "The Dark Knight Rises" this weekend in response to the tragic shooting spree that took place at an Aurora, Colo., midnight screening of the movie, Warner Bros. spokeswoman Susan Fleishman told TheWrap.

"Out of respect for the victims and their families, Warner Bros. Pictures will not be reporting box-office numbers for 'The Dark Knight Rises' throughout the weekend," the studio said in a statement early Friday evening. "Box-office numbers will be released on Monday."

Also read: "Dark Knight Rises" Director Christopher Nolan Calls Shootings an "Appalling Crime"

The opening weekend for "The Dark Knight Rises" was overshadowed by a gunman who sprayed bullets in a theater, killing 12 and injuring more than 50. Police have arrested James Holmes, 24, as a suspect.

Also read: Warner Bros. Decides Not to Cancel "The Dark Knight Rises" Screenings

Despite the tragedy of the Colorado screening, the film scored the second-highest midnight opening in history, racking up $30.6 million in 3,825 locations. That surpasses the Friday-night midnight earnings for "The Avengers" earlier this year, but fell short of the record set by "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" set last year.  

Alexander C. Kaufman contributed to this report.