The Weinstein Company biopic was to have opened March 14 but TWC says now that a final version of the film has yet to be delivered
“Grace of Monaco,” the Princess Grace biopic starring Nicole Kidman, has been pulled from the Weinstein Company’s release schedule, the studio said Thursday.
TWC had originally set a Nov. 27 limited release to qualify it for this year’s Academy Awards, but the story of Grace Kelly’s transition from actress to princess has been pushed to this year to allow for the film’s completion. A final version has yet to be delivered, the studio said, so TWC instead will release the British dramedy “One Chance” on that weekend.
“Grace of Monaco” is directed by Olivier Dahan (“La Vie en Rose”) and co-stars Tim Roth, Parker Posey, Paz Vega, Frank Langella and Derek Jacobi.
Dahan blasted TWC’ chief Harvey Weinstein after the film was initially pushed last year, saying that the cuts he suggested were solely to make the film more commercial, and the latest development suggests there is a standoff.
“There are two versions of the film for now: mine and his … ” the director told the French newspaper Liberation at that time, “which I find catastrophic.”
Shot in France, Italy and Monaco last Autumn, the film focuses on a period in 1962 when De Gaulle established an economic blockade on the small principality over its status as a tax haven.
Here's the trailer, released in September: