Actor had seven days of shooting left
The death of Philip Seymour Hoffman will not affect the release of the final two parts of “The Hunger Games,” according to an individual with knowledge of the production.
Hoffman had seven days left to shoot on “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2,” but it’s not clear how the studio will alter the filming schedule or how it will find a way to work around his absence. His performance as head game-maker, Plutarch Heavensbee was nearly complete on “The Hunger Games – Mockingjay Part 1,” the individual said.
Hoffman, an Oscar winner for his work in “Capote,” was found dead of an apparent drug overdose in his Manhattan apartment Sunday, according to multiple media reports. He was 46.
“Philip Seymour Hoffman was a singular talent and one of the most gifted actors of our generation,” A spokesman for Lionsgate, which is producing the films, said in a statement. “We’re very fortunate that he graced our Hunger Games family. Losing him in his prime is a tragedy, and we send our deepest condolences to Philip’s family.”
Also read: Hollywood’s Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
The “Hunger Games” films will be released as scheduled on November 21, 2014 and November 20, 2015, respectively, the individual said.
Hoffman’s other credits include “Charlie Wilson’s War,” “Doubt” and ” “The Master.”
Last year, the actor reportedly underwent a 10-day detox for heroin and prescription drug abuse. He admitted in interviews that as a younger man he struggled with substance abuse.
He is survived by his partner, Mimi O’Donnell, and three children.