Seth Rogen, James Franco’s Press Tour for ‘The Interview’ Canceled in Wake of Hackers’ New Threat

The film’s stars have withdrawn from all previously scheduled interviews and appearances in the run up to the release

Seth Rogen and James Franco have canceled all of their upcoming press appearances for “The Interview” after the latest fallout from the ongoing Sony hack attack, an individual with knowledge of the situation told TheWrap.

A new message published Tuesday purporting to be from the Guardians of Peace threatened 9/11-style attacks against theaters that show the film.

The message, posted to file sharing sites, was included with the release of a new set of hacked emails. It also warned moviegoers, in broken English, to stay away from theaters.

“We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places ‘The Interview’ be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to,” the message said. “Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made. The world will be full of fear. Remember the 11th of September 2001. We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time. (If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.)”

Rogen and Franco were scheduled to appear on BuzzFeed’s interview series “BuzzFeed Brews” in front of a live audience at the Gotham Comedy Club Tuesday in New York. But the interview has now been canceled, a BuzzFeed insider told TheWrap Tuesday. Rogen has also canceled an appearance on “Late Night With Seth Meyers” for Thursday.

“The Interview” is scheduled for release on December 25.