Successor expected to be named next week
Katie Couric will announce this week that she is exiting "CBS Evening News," ending months of expectations that she will leave the show she has anchored for five years, according to a person familiar with the plan.
Couric will not, however, announce a departure from CBS, because she may continue to work with the network's news division or on a syndicated show, the person told The Wrap.
The New York Times reported Monday that CBS will announce her "Evening News" successor in the first week of May, after Couric returns from covering Friday's wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
Couric's rep declined to comment Monday.
TheWrap has previously reported that several networks, including NBC, ABC and CNN, have expressed interest in Couric, who is seeking a daytime syndicated talk show. She could also stay at CBS in a deal that would also include appearances on "60 Minutes" or the talk show.
Couric's contract with CBS ends June 4, and the exit strategy would allow a full month for a smooth transition. "60 Minutes" correspondent Scott Pelley is expected to take her place.
Couric has said in many recent interviews, including one with her former "Today" co-anchor, Matt Lauer, that she had not decided on her plans.
← Previous Story