We've Got Hollywood Covered

Ferguson Shooting Case: Michael Brown Funeral to Be Held Monday

The Brown family attorney announces that complete details for funeral of slain teen will follow

The funeral for Michael Brown, the unarmed black teenager whose fatal shooting by a police officer has sparked a week of protests in Ferguson, Mo., will be held Aug. 25, his family’s attorney said.

“Funeral arrangements for #MichaelBrown have been confirmed for Monday. A press release with complete details will follow,” attorney Benjamin Crump tweeted Tuesday.

Also read: Michael Brown Shooting Witness Releases Video: ‘I Knew This Was Not Right’ (Video)

A receptionist at Crump’s law office said no further details were yet available. The funeral will come more than two weeks after Brown, a college-bound 18-year-old, was shot dead in the street by officer Darren Wilson.

Police have said Wilson stopped Brown because the teen and a friend were walking in the middle of the street, and that Brown tried to steal Wilson’s gun in an altercation that followed. They also accused Brown of stealing cigarillos from a convenience store before the shooting, but authorities said Wilson was unaware of that when he stopped him.

An independent autopsy released Sunday at the request of Brown’s family found that he was shot six times, all in the front, including twice in the head.

Also read: Intercept Issues Statement on Reporter Shot With Non-Lethal Bullet, Arrested in Ferguson

Responding to protests that began last week, police have tear-gassed and fired rubber bullets at demonstrators and reporters alike, in addition to arresting dozens of people. President Obama said Monday that a small minority of protestors were antagonizing police, but he called on police to respect the freedoms of speech and assembly — and not to interfere with reporters doing their jobs.

Monday night, however, Ferguson looked as chaotic as it ever has: There were more cannisters of tear gas and projectiles fired. One or more demonstrators threw rocks at MSNBC’s Chris Hayes as he reported live from the scene, CNN reporters Don Lemon and Jake Tapper were shoved by police and had to flee tear gas, and an Intercept reporter was shot by police with a non-lethal projectile, then taken into custody.