We've Got Hollywood Covered

Probe Into Fatal Crash Involving NASCAR Star Tony Stewart Will Take ‘Another Two Weeks’

Sheriff’s officials are seeking more witnesses and reconstructing the racetrack as they investigate the death of Kevin Ward Jr.

The investigation into the death of sprint car driver Kevin Ward Jr., 20, will take “at least another two weeks or more,” the Ontario County Sheriff’s Department said Tuesday.

Ward was struck and killed by NASCAR star Tony Stewart late Saturday night at the Canandaigua Motorsports Park in upstate New York during the Lucas Oil Super Sprint Feature race.

The autopsy was completed Monday, with the coroner’s office listing Ward’s cause of death as “massive blunt force trauma.” No other information from the autopsy will be released, the coroner’s office said.

Also read: Tony Stewart Drops Out of NASCAR Sprint Cup Race After Fatal Crash

Also on Monday, the Sheriff’s Department told local television station WCYB that there were no plans “at this time” to talk to Stewart again.

Meanwhile, investigators continue to seek witnesses, gather evidence, and develop the racetrack crash reconstruction, according to the Sheriff’s Department. “When the investigation is completed, we will meet with members of the Ontario County District Attorney’s Office and discuss with them all aspects of the investigation into the crash,” Sheriff’s officials said in a statement.

The Sheriff’s Department did not immediately respond to TheWrap‘s request for comment.

Also read: ESPN’s Nicole Briscoe to Become ‘SportsCenter’ Anchor When NASCAR Duties Conclude

Canandaigua Motorsports Park — where the fatal accident occurred — will reopen on Saturday, track promoter Jeremie Corcoran announced Tuesday.

“Up until today I could not even think about another show at Canandaigua Motorsports Park,” Corcoran said in a statement. “I spoke to Kevin Ward Sr. this morning and he encouraged me to ‘get back to racing at CMP, Kevin would want you to.'”

“I ask that everyone wear something Orange to display our unity!” he added. “We will be doing something special at the track on Saturday night.”

Also read: ESPN to Air ‘Grantland Basketball Show’ Featuring Bill Simmons

Ward Jr. was struck and killed after he “lost control mid-race, got out of his car, and was standing on the dirt track,” Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero said in a previous statement.

As Ward stood outside of his vehicle, two cars approached him. “The first car swerved to avoid the driver out on the track. The second car, operated by Tony Stewart, struck the driver,” the statement said.

Also read: Robin Williams, Oscar-Winning Actor, Dead at 63 of Suicide

Amateur video uploaded to YouTube shows Ward standing outside of his number 13 car, and walking on the track toward other vehicles, which had slowed because the race was put into caution. Ward points a finger and appears to be yelling at the passing cars. One car swerves to avoid him, before he is hit by Stewart’s number 14 car.

Ward was transported to the F.F. Thompson Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later, officials said.