“It’s stolen information,” Rogen said. “I think it’s fucked up that anyone is talking about it. And I’m OK talking about my shit, honestly, because I don’t fucking care that much and the stuff that was stolen from me on the grand scale of shit is not that bad, but it’s fucking stolen.”
Rogen and Franco, whose upcoming movie “The Interview” is suspected by some to be the cause of this privacy breach, told Stern that those who are publishing the content obtained in the hack are, “doing exactly what these criminals are doing.” Several classified details about their movie were revealed in the leak, including both co-stars’ salaries.
As TheWrap previously reported, Sony Pictures Entertainment requested on Sunday that all news outlets cease publishing any information obtained from the leak. Studio co-chair Amy Pascal and producer Scott Rudin have both had to issue apologies after having their emails hacked, including an exchange between the two that included racially insensitive comments about President Obama.
“The country should have rallied around Sony and we should have as Americans said, ‘This is wrong, we’re under attack,’” Stern said during the interview.
The host also compared the ongoing Sony controversy to the Hollywood nude picture hack from earlier this year.
“It’s stolen information that media outlets are directly profiting from,” Rogen said. “It’s ill-gotten gains, I would assume. They’re literally reselling stolen shit. It’s not like they’re not profiting from it. It’s click bait.”
Sony also had five of its recent films leaked online prior to their release in theaters, including “Annie” and Oscar-contender “Still Alice.” As of Monday, “The Interview” has not been leaked online.