Sony’s “The Interview” theater count is now up to 300, an executive from the company told TheWrap.
TheWrap had previously exclusively reported the called-off comedy’s reinstatement via limited Christmas Day theatrical and VOD releases. Following the news that their film was back on, stars Seth Rogen and James Franco both tweeted enthusiastic decrees of victory.
“The people have spoken,” wrote Rogen, who is also co-writer of “The Interview.” “Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn’t give up! The Interview will be shown at theaters willing to play it on Xmas day!”
“VICTORY,!” tweeted Franco. “The PEOPLE and THE PRESIDENT have spoken!!! SONY to release THE INTERVIEW in theaters.”
“We have never given up on releasing ‘The Interview’ and we’re excited our movie will be in a number of theaters on Christmas Day,” said Michael Lynton, chairman and CEO of Sony Entertainment, in a statement on Tuesday. “At the same time, we are continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theaters so that this movie reaches the largest possible audience.
“I want to thank our talent on ‘The Interview’ and our employees, who have worked tirelessly through the many challenges we have all faced over the last month,” he continued. “While we hope this is only the first step of the film’s release, we are proud to make it available to the public and to have stood up to those who attempted to suppress free speech.”
Initially, Sony pulled the plug on the film last week, after multiple theater chains announced they would not exhibit the film due to threats of a “9/11”-style attack on any place that did. The buddy comedy, which depicts the assassination of North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, has been at the epicenter of the crippling hack of Sony Pictures and its massive fallout.
President Barack Obama labeled the studio’s decision a mistake in a Friday press conference, which also named North Korea as responsible for the hacks. He later applauded its rescheduling.