Common Sense Networks CEO Eric Berger lays out predictions for the year that will have a profound impact
In 2022, there was a collective reckoning across every sector of media.
- Workforces were slashed and programming budgets were cut.
- A streaming video on demand (SVOD) giant was humbled as the power of consumer choice took hold and subscriber growth stalled.
- A beloved CEO returned to the top perch in an uncertain market while another tried to steer a mega merger from bust to boom.
- Social media platforms came under even more scrutiny.
- And advertisers, whose lights had dimmed in the recent era of peak streaming, were suddenly all the rage as the resurgence of ad-supported tiers took center stage.
The increase in media consumption by kids, thought at first to be COVID inspired, was actually a true behavioral shift, a loud statement that Gen Alpha will have a lasting impact on the shape of the market for years to come.